“This morning, the Global Counsel on Brain Health released a report concluding that dietary supplements do not improve brain health or prevent cognitive decline, dementia, or Alzheimer’s disease. The report, released by the AARP, flatly recommends that most consumers do not take supplements for this purpose.
“The GCBH reviewed the scientific evidence on various supplements and determined it could not endorse any ingredient, production, or formulation designed for brain health,” the AARP said in a press release.
This year alone, the FDA sent warning labels to multiple supplement companies specifically claiming to treat Alzheimer’s disease, according to the GCBH report. All of the claims below were cited by the GCBH as misleading:
- A dietary supplement that has been clinically shown to help with mild memory problems associated with aging
- Clinically shown to be safe and support memory and brain function
- Clinically proven natural ingredients
- Supports neurotransmitter development to promote a feeling of mental sharpness
- Helps your brain maintain healthy neurons to support learning and recall
- 13 scientifically proven nutrients for a healthier brain
- Keeps your mind sharp and memory strong with an ingredient that’s clinically shown to improve memory and recall in healthy adults. It’s powered by the #1 most clinically studied ingredient for memory among leading brain health supplements
- Has shown statistically significant improvements in memory and recall in as little as 4 weeks when taken as directed
- To Improve and Boost Brain Power, Mind, Concentration & Energy For Health Brain Function & Support
- Enhance memory, concentration, focus, mental clarity, and learning abilities
- Designed to help improve memory while increasing focus and concentration
- Comprehensive blend of vitamins, amino acids, and herbal extracts that support the brain’s structure and function to deliver amazing improvements in memory and concentration!
- Give your brain the compounds it needs to help keep your mind bright, clever and strong
- Help lessen the frequency of episodes of forgetfulness and brain fog
- Improve your ability to retain and recall various kinds of information
- For Cognitive Health, Memory Improvement, Memory Enhancement
- These key nutrients have a powerful effect at reducing the inflammatory fires that destroy our brain tissue.
- It aids in improving connectivity between neurons and brain cells. It’s shown positive effects for improving memory, reaction times, and clarity of thought.
- A highly esteemed Ayurvedic herb with a history of use that goes back over 3,000 years. Legend has it that it was used by ancient scholars to memorize length hymns and scriptures.
- It’s needed for over 300 metabolic functions and has profound effects on brain and mental health.
Summary: Evidence is lacking concerning the effectiveness of vitamins and dietary supplements in boosting brain health, but that doesn’t stop people from using them, according to new AARP research.
The majority of adults surveyed view vitamins and dietary supplements positively, with 78% saying they are extremely or somewhat important to health, but supplements are more popular among older adults.
The Report in Context